Applied Research in Virtual Environments for Learning
InWorlds Discussions are informal get-together in a virtual environment to discuss topics of VW research and implementations. A theme is provided for the meeting, sometimes illustrated by a short presentation. The calendar is open to anyone interested in submitting a topic (Send a message to email@example.com to get your name/topic on the calendar) Everyone is welcome. ARVEL SIG in SL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/CAVE/34/197/35
The first explorations to other virtual environments than SL were organized by the ARVEL Explorers. ARVEL has since decided to integrate the ARVEL Explorers into the ARVEL Immersive Learning Series.
Inworld Discussion Speakers Frequent Questions:
1) How long do I have? You have one hour. You can split your discussion time between a presentation format (with slides or not, sim tour, activities, etc.) and a Q&A after, or keep the entire hour on a conversation format with the audience questions and comments allowed at all time. It's your hour.
2) Do I have to bring powerpoint slides? No but you'll need to send 2 slides so that we can use one as a visual anchor to the discussion area (with your name and session title) and another with your contact and other info on the research you do. You may either email the slides as PowerPoint or as jpeg, or drop the premade textures on Willow Shenlin's profile in SL. These details are handled via email prior to the event.
3) Can I leave some objects on ARVEL parcel? Yes, every Inworld Discussion Speaker is offered the opportunity to leave an exhibit explaining their work. The parcel is currently organized by research methodologies. Go explore the caves to see what other speakers have done.
4) Who is my audience? The majority of attendants are educators and researchers like you, but depending on the Inworld Discussion topic, you might also attract doctoral students and industry representants who are interested in your research.(ARVEL publicizes its events far and wide)
5) How many avatars should I expect? The Inworld Discussions usually attract an average of 12 to 15 avatars. Since we've introduced the ARVEL Livestream Channel, we count another 12 or so attendees online.
6) Can I bring a colleague/a mentor/dissertation committee member? Absolutely. The more the merrier. This is not a Roast. Any griefers or comments/actions perceived as disparaging will be given a warning by the host. There is no 2nd warning. The next action is immediate expulsion from the island.
7)What's the mood? The ARVEL Inworld Discussions offer an open, supportive and collaborative space. It does not welcome negative feedback from any attendees. All feedback is positive and constructive.
By accepting to guest host or attend the ARVEL Inworld Discussions, you acknowledge and agree that the talk show will be broadcasted, archived and published to the web for all to watch. You also acknowledge and agree that the chatlog pertaining to the inworld session will be archived and posted for all to read. The event host will remind every one of this at the beginning of each session.